This cookie recipe is pretty much engrained in my soul at this point. I don’t think there’s ever a time where I don’t have them in my house! It’s so quick and easy but still has a depth of flavor that you can’t get from pre-made cookie dough, I attribute that to the flaked salt and espresso powder! To make espresso powder at home, just grind some coffee beans in any spice grinder and boom, you’re good to go. Instant coffee works just the same, so just use whatever you have on hand! You’re also more then welcome to skip it if that’s what you prefer, it won’t affect the integrity of the base recipe and will still taste good. That being said DO NOT skip the the salt! It’s imperative, just trust me. Honestly I would go as far as to say if you’re not putting salt on top of all your chocolate chip cookie recipes already then you’re really missing out on some magic, try it! Anyways, I’m so excited for you guys to experience this recipe, let me know what you think! Enjoy!
- 1 1/2 cups (218 g) All Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Coffee/Espresso Powder (optional but recommended)
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup (115 g) Chilled Vegan Butter (I use Earth Balance Butter Sticks)
- 1 Flax Egg ( 1 tbsp ground flax mixed with 3 tbsp water)
- 1/3 cup (75 g) Organic Cane Sugar
- 1/2 cup (103 g) Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2/3 cup (93 g) Dark Chocolate Chips
- 1/3 cup (55 g) Vegan Minnie Chocolate Chips
- flaked salt to top
- Preheat an oven to 350F and prepare a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Make Flax Egg and set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, salt, baking soda, and espresso powder then set aside.
- With an electric or stand mixer, cream together chilled butter and both sugars. Once a creamy consistency is reached add the flax egg and vanilla extract then mix again.
- Slowly incorporate dry ingredients with the wet, being careful not to over mix. Stop electric mixing when most of the flour is blended in, then add chocolate chips and use a spatula to combine the rest manually.
- Scoop the dough onto the prepared baking sheet, usually I get about 8 jumbo cookies. ( I use an ice cream scoop ) Then sprinkle with flaked salt. Place in the oven and cook for about 14 minutes. Once done, top with a little extra flaked salt and enjoy!
* My preference is to scoop these little guys with an ice cream scoop to have jumbo cookies! If you use a normal cookie scoop decrease the baking time by about 3 minutes. . * These are really good chilled in the fridge overnight too! It allows the dough to develop a bit more flavor, I really suggest cooking half of it right away to satisfy the cookie cravings and then pop the rest in the fridge to chill til the next morning. It's totally worth it! . * Sometimes I use the "drop" technique to get flatter cookies cause that's my texture preference. If you want to do that too then just stop the cookies about 5 minutes in, pick up the pan and then drop it back in the oven a couple times to interrupt the the cookie building up its structure. Sounds weird but it works!