In my opinion there is never a “wrong time” to eat cake; breakfast, lunch, dinner, even middle of the day snack! it is truly delicious any time of day and no-one can convince me other wise. That’s why i’ve created a simple vegan vanilla cake that will impress even the pickiest cake connoisseurs. It’s so classic and highly adaptable, which is great for experimenting with other flavors and frosting choices. For the photographs I used an easy vanilla buttercream recipe; that I’m still working on by the way but it will be on the blog soon, and sliced strawberries in between the layers!
As far as the actual creating process goes that’s also super simple; its essentially, combine wet ingredients, then combine dry ingredients, then combine both, bake, and voila! Now keep in mind that I separated the ingredients lists to be dependent on your needs. If you’re baking one 9″ cake layer then use that list, and if you’re baking three like I did then use the “3 layers” list. I tried to save you guys from doing as much math as possible!
Anyways I hope you enjoy this recipe and stay tuned because soon I’m going to upload a recipe for an amazing vegan frosting that will pair great with this cake! Once I do I will link the recipe here so you have quick access!
- - FOR ONE 9" CAKE LAYER -
- 1 1/4 cups Soy Milk ( 303g )
- 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar ( 14g )
- 1/2 cup Canola or Vegetable Oil ( 94g )
- 1 cup Organic Cane Sugar ( 271g )
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract ( 7g )
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour ( 619g )
- 1 tsp Baking Powder ( 5g )
- 1 tsp Baking Soda ( 5g )
- 1/2 tsp Salt ( 3g )
- - FOR THREE 9" CAKE LAYERS -
- 3 3/4 cups Soy Milk ( 911g )
- 3 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar ( 40g )
- 1 1/2 cups Canola or Vegetable Oil ( 282g )
- 3 cups Organic Cane Sugar ( 817g )
- 2 tbsp Vanilla Extract ( 21g )
- 6 cups All-Purpose Flour ( 1040g )
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder ( 14g )
- 1 tbsp Baking Soda ( 14g )
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt ( 11g )
- Preheat your oven to 350F and line either one or three 9" round cake pans with parchment paper. I made a three layer cake, therefor I used three cake pans and the following recipe describes what to do when making three. However if you're just making a one layer cake then follow the "one 9" cake layer" ingredients list and all of the instructions still apply apart from the size of mixing bowls you will need.
- In a large bowl whisk together your soy milk and apple cider vinegar, then allow that to sit for 5-10 minutes to thicken.
- While that's sitting, go ahead and in a very large bowl combine all your dry ingredients; flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Once the soy milk is a bit thicker add in your sugar, oil, and vanilla. Whisk until completely incorporated, most of the sugar will melt and the mixture should be fully cohesive.
- Now slowly mix your wet ingredients in with the dry. This should just be done by hand with a whisk, however an electric mixer will work as well, just don't over mix it.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pans and bake at 350F for 35-45 minutes depending on your oven and how many pans you're cooking at once. Start with 35 minutes and then check with a toothpick in 5 minute increments. If the toothpick comes out clean then you're good to go!
- Make sure to allow the cake to cool completely before frosting!
- Make sure to make the size adjustments necessary as far as bowl size goes. If you are making 3 cake layers then you're going to need pretty large mixing bowls. - To keep the cake moist while cooling just wrap in the cling wrap and place it in the fridge!