These sweet and tart lemon poppyseed muffins are the perfect spring snack! I don’t know about you but I absolutely love all things lemon, there’s nothing better then that tangy, bright, bite on a sunny day. I’m so excited for the warmer months to start rolling in. I finally get to start using more fruits and colors in my recipes! In winter I’m always craving cinnamon and chocolate, but in the summer I want colorful light sweets so that’s what I’m going to start working on for you guys.
I’ve got a lot of fun goodies planned so stay tuned! Until then though please try out these delicious muffins, there’s no way you’ll regret it and they’re pretty quick to whip up too. I only used 1 1/2 lemons but you’re welcome use two if you want it even tangier. I also think the use of vegan vanilla yogurt instead of non dairy milk helps give these muffins a light, moist texture! I used the Forager brand vanilla cashew yogurt and I absolutely love that stuff, be it in muffins or topped with granola for breakfast so that’s my recommendation but use whatever brand you love.
- 1/2 cup melted and cooled Vegan Butter
- The juice and zest of 1 1/2 Lemons
- 2 Flax Eggs ( 2 tbsp ground flax with 6 tbsp water)
- 2/3 cup of Organic Cane Sugar (160g)
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup Vegan Vanilla Yogurt
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour (282g)
- 2 tbsp Poppyseeds (20g)
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- Turbinado Sugar for topping (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400F and prepare a muffin pan with 12 muffin liners.
- In a small pot melt your vegan butter and then set aside to cool.
- Then prepare your two flax eggs by combing the flax and water. Allow those to set up for about 5 minutes.
- While you're waiting zest and juice 1 1/2 lemons, make sure no seeds end up in your measuring cup. You should end up with about 1/2 cup of lemon juice.
- In a large bowl whisk together your dry ingredients, flour, salt, baking soda, and poppyseeds.
- Then In a separate bowl whisk together your lemon juice, lemon zest, flax eggs, sugar, cooled melted butter and yogurt until completely combined.
- Slowly mix the wet into the dry ingredients until just combined, being careful not to over do it.
- Scoop all of the batter evenly into your 12 muffin liners, I fill to about 3/4 full and top with Turbinado sugar! Pop in a 400F oven for about 18-20 minutes and you're ready to eat the best lemon poppyseed muffins ever!
* Be careful not to over whisk because it can cause the muffins to fall instead of fluff in the oven. Sometimes I prefer to mix my sugar in with the butter first and then pour both into the other wet ingredients to combine everything better. * Feel free to use up two lemons if you want a tangier flavor! It's still delicious I just prefer the balance with 1 1/2 and I use the other half for lemon water!