I’m absolutely obsessed with this banana bread recipe! It’s so amazing and flavorful. Not to mention it put a smile on everyones face who I had taste test it so I think that’s a pretty good sign. Whether it’s for breakfast or dessert I think a good banana bread is just a classic winner every time. Especially one that has loads of chocolate chips in it! Also, being that I’m crazy about all things cinnamon, I think the tsp we throw in it gives it a really wonderful kick of flavor.
Now, don’t forget to use super ripe bananas! There’s a ton of tricks online for how to quickly ripen them if you’re just dying to make this recipe so I don’t feel like you have to wait a whole week. My favorite is the paper bag trick, but seriously, there’s so many and they all work! I also got loads of inspiration from https://butternutbakeryblog.com chocolate chip banana bread recipe! It really helped me out with what a classic non vegan banana bread had in it so be sure to check that out too! Anyways, I hope you try this out and love it as much as I do!
- 2 flax eggs; 2 tbsp Flax Seed and 6 tbsp water
- 1/2 cup (120g) melted vegan butter or coconut oil
- 3 medium over ripe bananas; plus 1 for topping (optional)
- 1/2 cup (113g) Dark Brown Sugar
- 1/3 cup (74g) Cane Sugar
- 1 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/2 cups (204g) All Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 3/4 cup Vegan Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Make two flax eggs and set aside for them to thicken.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt vegan butter or coconut oil then set aside until it cools to room temperature.
- In a medium bowl, mash 3 over ripe bananas until they are a smooth consistency; it doesn't have to be perfect lumps are okay!
- In a separate medium sized bowl whisk together the dry ingredients; flour, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon.
- By this point the butter should be room temperature, so in the butter pot whisk in both sugars and vanilla until it becomes a bit of a grainy paste.
- Now pour the butter/sugar mixture into the mashed banana bowl. Add the flax eggs and maple syrup, then fully incorporate together.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet, and whisk until a thick batter is formed, add in the chocolate chips. Then pour the batter into your prepared loaf pan, top with your remaining sliced banana, and pop it in the oven!
- Cook the banana bread for a 60-65 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean! Allow to cool and set completely before attempting to flip it out of the pan and you are good to go!
* If you do top this with sliced banana be careful not to jiggle the bread until it is fully cooked! The extra weight of the topping paired with the movement can cause it to sink a bit in the middle, so just be careful.